(Photo by Selma Komisky)
God in the Center
How do we keep God first in a dry world? As people living in such a crazy world, it’s sometimes difficult to remember to keep God first, but keeping God first is what we need. Especially right now in the midst of everything going on in the world. Here is something to think about… imagine a glass full of water. That’s us. Now think, every time we see a news headline, our water slowly starts getting dumped out; every time we compare ourselves, more water gets dumped out. And eventually, we are left with nothing in our glass. That’s what living in a dry world without Jesus in the center does to us. It makes us feel empty and worn out.
Also, social media. That is a realm of everything that can empty our glass of water in a heartbeat. Social media can go anywhere from news headlines to finding yourself comparing you to them. This is why it is SO important to keep Jesus first in our lives, because He won’t let our glass go empty. If we fall down, He will pick us up. And just like how teammates can revive you if you get knocked down in a video game, Jesus will do that for us time and time again. He will be the one to revive us if we get knocked down and refresh us when our glass gets empty.
Now, going back to my first metaphor…our glasses can be emptied quite fast when we don’t have God in the center. But when we do have God in the center, here’s the difference. When we have God in the center, and we see a headline, we pray for revival and God to heal our land. When we compare ourselves, we remember God’s Word. Psalm 139:14 tells us that we are FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY made because His works are wonderful and we know that full well. We remember God’s promises to us, and our glass is overflowing! So, here are some of the ways I keep Jesus in the center amid our dry world.
- Read your Bible! Spending time with Jesus is so so important! Believing in God is not equal to having a relationship with Him. So read His word.
- PRAY! Prayer is talking to Jesus! That’s another form of spending time with Him. He listens to us when we pray, so give Him everything!
- Surrender. Surrender everything to Him. We NEED Jesus’ help. So surrender everything to Him. He’s got it.
- Filter and watch what you listen to. Find music that you know will remind you of Who Jesus is! Watch thing that you know will fill you up!
- Filter what you see\watch\ who you follow on social media. Social media isn’t all bad, but some definitely is. So follow people who will post things that will lead you to Jesus.
Make these daily habits, read your Bible, Pray, surrender, filter things you bring in your life, and most importantly… TRUST God! Trust that He has everything together when you don’t. Trust He has control. Trust His plan. God will refresh us and keep our cup overflowing. Jesus is the Living Water, after all.
“But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life”
– John 4:14 (ESV)
Friends, we serve The God of revival. He will always revive us when we get knocked down.