Ten Ways to Liven Up Your Oatmeal
By Selma Komisky
Sometimes I stop and think, oatmeal can be so bland and boring. Let’s think past brown sugar and get creative! Why not spruce it up by adding a variety of different toppings and transform your simple bowl of oatmeal into a fun delightful and satisfying breakfast. Here’s some ideas to try and experiment –Enjoy!
If you like candy, than do I have a treat for you! It’s a bowl full of joy – almond joy that is. That sweetness of the chocolate nicely melts and you get the crunchiness of the almonds and coconut. The combo is terrific! Side note: only add honey if it’s not sweet enough and that depends on how sweet your chocolate chips are.
· 1Tsp Coconut, ¼ c chocolate chips, 1Tsp almonds, and 1Tsp honey
Almond Banana Delight
This reminds me of your classic peanut butter banana sandwich only with a play on almonds. Dipping into your creamy, warm oats, with an almond flavor, textured with slices of banana and slivered almonds and then sweetened with honey (flaxseed is optional).
· 1 Tsp almond butter, ½ sliced banana, 1Tsp flaxseed, 1Tsp honey, and 1Tsp slivered almonds
Who doesn’t like Dutch Apple Pie? This has a similar taste and blends well with your oats. You can either go with a Green Pipen to get that tartness or a Gala or Red Delicious that has a sweet taste to it. Add granola, walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Yum!
· ½ c chopped into small pieces of apples, ¼ c crushed walnuts, ¼ c healthy granola, dash of cinnamon, and 1 Tsp brown sugar
Enjoy the nuttiness of the hazelnut and the pairing of raspberries, chocolate chips, and honey.
· ¼ c chopped hazelnuts or (1Tsp. Nutella), ¼ c raspberries, 1 Tsp semi sweet chocolate chips, 1Tsp honey, 1 tsp vanilla extract
To all you coffee lovers, here’s a nice treat to wake up to for breakfast. All the robust flavors of a nicely brewed hot cup of java in your bowl of oats. If you don’t like almond milk switch it out for any flavored creamer or half and half.
· 1Tsp.instant coffee, ¼ c almond milk, 1Tsp honey, dash of nutmeg or cinnamon
Lil Taste of Fall
Warm, spicy flavors and that taste of pumpkin pie can be enjoyed all year round.
· ½ c pumpkin, ¼ c chopped pecans, a dash of cinnamon, and 2 Tsp agave
A tropical take on a morning favorite – Fresh fruit on oats.
· ½ c sliced kiwi, ½ c sliced strawberries, 1Tsp shredded coconut, and 1Tsp honey
A little of this and little of that added to your plain oatmeal is a smorgasbord of surprise.
· 1 dollop of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy), ½ sliced banana, ¼ c semi sweet chocolate chips, 1Tsp raisons, and 1Tsp shredded coconut
Red Meets Blue
Fresh, fruity, and little burst of tanginess will give your oats an added pop. Find pitted pomegranate seeds at Trader Joes, Sprouts, or any local grocery store.
· ¼ c sliced strawberries, ¼ c pomegranate seeds (pitted), ¼ c blueberries or acai, and 1Tsp Agave syrup
Add healthy crumbled granola to your oats along with the chewiness of dried cranberries and cashew pieces with a hint of vanilla with honey (or agave).
· ¼ c granola, ¼ c dried cranberries,1 Tsp cashew halves or pieces, 1Tsp vanilla extract, and 1Tsp honey