(Photo by Sarah Komisky)
How-To: 3 Easy Fall-tastic Snack Ideas
By: Selma Komisky
Fall is here and it’s holiday time. Why not serve your guests or family some easy, quick and economical snacks and desserts? They will enjoy these and you can have more free time to visit instead of being stuck in the kitchen. Try some of these fall-tastic ideas!
ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
Servings: 8 to 10
- large or 2 small pumpkins
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- After you have scraped all the seeds out of the pumpkins, rinse them off in a colander and pat dry.
- Toss seeds with vegetable oil.
- Spread the seeds out onto a single layer of a baking sheet.
- Bake the seeds for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring them around every 15 minutes. They will be ready when they are lightly brown and toasted.
- Take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle the seeds lightly with salt for an easy crunchy snack.
APPLES ON A STICK FONDUE STYLE
- Gala, Red Delicious or Green Pippen Apples
- Lollipop sticks (available at Michaels or any craft store)
Directions (Apple Skewer):
- Wash your apples and cut them into slices big enough to stick the lollipop stick into the apple slice.
- Lay them out on a nice platter.
Directions (Dips and Toppings):
Ideas are endless but here are a few you can try to dip your fruit into…
- Melt caramel, chocolate or marshmallow crème.
- Have toppings ready to dip your apple slices into. For instance, chopped nuts, mini M&M’s, Reese’s Pieces, mini marshmallows, shredded coconut or mini gummies!
APPLE PIE PARFAIT
- Graham crackers
- Diced or sliced canned apples
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
- Plastic clear cups
- Plastic spoons
- In a bowl, finely crush the graham crackers.
- Set the crushed graham crackers aside and open the canned baked apples (great and quick alternative for fresh apples) and put these into a bowl.
- Slice the apples so they are bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the caramel and have that ready to go.
- Take out the cool whip topping or canned whipped cream, whichever one you prefer, and get ready to assemble your parfait cups. The cinnamon is optional.
- Line up however many cups you will be preparing.
- Pour some of the crumbled graham cracker into the cup.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on top of the crushed graham crackers.
- Place some apples on top of the whipped cream layer.
- Drizzle some caramel on top of the apples.
- Repeat the layers.
- When you get to the top of the cup, put some whipped cream on and a small dash of cinnamon on the top.
- Chill these cups until you are ready to serve them! These yummy parfaits are like apple pie in a cup!