(Photo by Lindsay O’Neil)
How-To: Easter Baskets
By Michele Massie
Over the years Easter has become a celebration of the arrival of spring, bringing with it gifts of chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and painted eggs to be hidden for a game to play with family and friends. However, as believers we celebrate Easter as the day God raised His Son Jesus Christ from the dead, bringing with Him new life and hope to all who will believe and receive Him as Lord of their lives.
Celebrating Easter is a heart thing! Beloved, remember Jesus and His journey to the cross on Good Friday because without Good Friday, Easter morning loses its meaning. It’s healthy and necessary for us to really grasp the great sacrifice both God and Jesus made through the crucifixion.
“But God knew what would happen, and his prearranged plan was carried out when Jesus was betrayed.”
– Acts 2:23
“He humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.”
– Philippians 2:8
“When they entered the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a white robe sitting on the right side. The women were shocked, but the angel said, “Don’t be alarmed. You are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead!”
– Mark 16: 5-6
Easter morning should be a day of utter joy and gratitude because He is Risen! Proof of eternal life is given to those who believe and receive it through faith in Christ’s finished work on the cross.
I believe Easter is an amazing opportunity to tell people of their need for Christ and share the truth of salvation through Christ. It’s an opportunity to pray for those in our life who are lost and hurting and need the Lord. To tell those about who God is and how He loves them. The need to be taught about sin and the penalty that accompanies it.
“For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.”
– Romans 6:23
Beloved, when we refuse to have anything to do with Easter, it can unnecessarily separate us from loved ones and we miss out on a golden opportunity! Giving or receiving an Easter basket isn’t a bad thing…it’s a way to share the “Good News” of the love of Christ to thirsty hearts! That’s what Easter is about! As the truth of Easter moves from head knowledge to our heart, it becomes perfectly clear why we celebrate Easter! Think of what the spring season represents. Winter has passed and new life begins to sprout up from the earth. The transformed life of the believer is like that. When a person invites Jesus into their heart God begins to transform them and bring a beauty over their life that points others to Him. That those around them would say, “I need Christ in my life!”
Here are some ideas for a Christ Centered Easter Basket:
* Pray before you begin your Easter basket journey.
- Don’t forget to bring your phone or camera to capture the precious memory!
- Use clear cellophane wrapping to wrap around the basket with a big, beautiful bow http://www.michaels.com/
- Attach Scripture to your basket
- Insert a Bible promise card in the basket
- Go to the Christian book store or website and look for cute Christian jewelry http://kingdomwear.com/
- Gift a Bible and a journal and or Bible Study to do together with a friend, spouse, child, or family member https://www.christianbook.com
- “Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions For Kids” by Sarah Young
- The Story of the Ten Commandments (TWFT Just for Kidz) Kindle Interactive Edition by Chuck Smith (Author). https://www.amazon.com
- Children’s Christ centered comic books http://calvaryd.org
- Christian coloring books, crayons http://www.orientaltrading.com/
- Christian themed pencils, pens, bookmarks and stickers http://www.orientaltrading.com/
- Colors of Faith jelly bean bracelet idea http://www.orientaltrading.com/
- Colors of Faith jelly bean candy treat packets http://www.orientaltrading.com/
- Resurrection eggs/activity http://www.orientaltrading.com/
- Christian music https://www.amazon.com
- Chocolate and candy https://www.dollartree.com/
- Stationary to reach out to those the Lord puts on your heart throughout the year. Grace and Peace Blank Notecards, box of 16 https://www.christianbook.com
- A picture in a frame or a small photo album filled with special memories http://www.lifeway.com/
One Last Thing: Happy Easter Beloved of God!