(Photos by Selma Komisky)
Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Healthier Chocolate Options
By Hannah Mitchell
Valentines Day is just around the corner, AKA the holiday of candy, heart shaped boxes, and CHOCOLATE. But what can you choose to indulge in without the guilt? Try finding a chocolate labeled with Cacao. Yes, Cacao, not just cocoa. Raw Cacao powder is created by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans, keeping the enzymes and removing the fat.
A great place to look for a treat such as this is Sprouts, Whole Foods, or my favorite, Melaleuca. Melaleuca is a completely natural and organic line of products. Recently, I discovered their Melaleuca Unforgettable’s, which claim to support brain health. With 66% of these treats being Cacao, they also contain DHA and Phosphatidylserine. Phosphatidylserine is an amino acid and plays an important role is cognitive brain function and cell cycle signaling. Not only can you feel guilt free, you’ll also be supporting your memory!
To satisfy your sweet tooth here are some healthy options to indulge in this Valentine’s Day:
- Unforgettable’s Dark Chocolate Sea Salt & Caramel Crisp
- Cacao Powder [used in this delicious (and healthy) V-Day Tore Recipe]
- Dark Chocolate Almonds, Sea Salt, and Pumpkin Seeds
- Whole Foods Marker Milk Chocolate Animal Crackers
- Sprouts Cacao Nibs
- Cacao chocolate bars Via Sprouts Markets (See Various Options Below)