(Photo courtesy of Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts)
How-To: Lemon Blueberry Muffins
By Sarah Komisky with recipe by Vera Z. of Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts
In this time we are on pause, we wanted to share with one of our favorite treats we indulged in when we needed a baking break.
Here is a re-post of our favorite blueberry muffin recipe from Pinterest made possible by Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts! Check out their amazing blog and try this quick and easy recipe by Vera Z. Let me tell you, the streusel topping will take it to a new level as well as the added lemon that makes it perfect for summer! Many thanks to MM teammate April Bautista Garcia for making and sharing these muffins with us at a virtual team meeting. Now, we bring it to you all! Enjoy!
These Lemon Blueberry Muffins with streusel crumb topping are the best breakfast to make ahead and grab on a busy morning. This easy muffin recipe with Greek yogurt makes moist, homemade bakery-style muffins.
For Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 6.5 Tablespoon unsalted butter-melted
For Lemon Blueberry Muffins:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 and 1/3 cups blueberries-fresh or frozen (reserve ½ cup of blueberries for topping)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees and line standard muffin or cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
- To make the crumb topping in a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and cinnamon, add melted butter and stir with a fork until crumbly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the muffins in large bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl place 2/3 cup granulated sugar and lemon zest and rub for a minute. Add eggs and whisk together eggs and lemon-sugar until combined. Whisk in yogurt, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract (mixture should be pale and yellow)
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk everything together.
- Reserve ½ cup of blueberries for topping. Place remaining blueberries in a small bowl. Dust blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour and toss them until all blueberries are coated with thin layer of flour and then fold them really gently in the batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling maximum 2/3 of each cup and gently tap the pan on the work surface to set. Cover the batter with the remaining blueberries and then cover the blueberries generously with streusel topping.
- Place them in the oven and bake at 400 F for 5 minutes, then REDUCE THE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 375 F and bake 13-15 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan then remove muffins and cool on a wire rack.
Find out more about Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts by visiting omgchocolatedesserts.com/